4.12.2013

a beauty round-up

It takes a lot of work to look this mediocre.  I kid, I kid.  
It takes more than a lot of work, it also takes a paycheck.  

Here are some of the products I am using (and LOVING) lately (from left to right): 

Urban Decay Naked Palette.  I have wanted this for some time and I finally pulled the trigger.  From the photos online, I always thought I would like the Naked2 Palette more but after trying them on side by side on my skin, I decided that the original was the best way to go.  The photos online always make that far right shadow look blue, it's a beautiful steely gray.  Usually my favorite shadows are MAC because of their staying power, but this has quickly become my go to.  I have oily eyelids and even with a primer, I normally have a hard time with shadows staying on.  No issues with these.  I know I might have balked a little bit about spending $50 on eyeshadow when I have a drawer full of eyeshadows already and some smaller palettes that don't get used.  But seriously, this palette is amazing.

Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer.  I could go on an on about eyeshadow because it wants to be seen.  As for concealer, I don't want anyone to know I am wearing it.  I need it to be light but do it's job.  This one works nicely.

Too Faced Primed and Poreless.  I am not a fan of heavy powders but I need something to help control the shine and set my foundation.  I have tried some other loose powders, including bareMineral's Mineral Veil.  There is something in the bareMineral's that makes my skin ANGRY.  If I am wearing it and go for a run, it combined with my sweat burns.  Seriously, hurts. This Too Faced is nice and light.  You don't even feel it but you can notice a difference.  The best part about it, no burning.

RoC Multi Correxion Skin Renewing Serum.  Not too long ago, a few friends and I went to a Chanel event at Saks where I learned about a line of products that I wish I could afford.  They made my face feel amazing but since I don't have $300+ to spend on ONE cream, I have been on a mission to find something that has a similar effect but with a much smaller price tag.  I haven't been able to find one yet, but I did find this RoC product in the process.  It's gentle enough that it doesn't irritate my sensitive skin.  And after the initial slight peeling of some skin, (it contains retinol and it happens when you first start it--I didn't start every other day like they suggest but I didn't go balls to the wall with twice a day either), I have noticed a nice difference in my skin.  I bought it on Amazon, where I think it's about $10 cheaper than the MSRP.

Essie.  This one is Hip-anema.  But I also really like Meet Me at Sunset, Geranium, Snap Happy, and on and on.  I used to favor much darker and brooding colors but in the last year or so, I have started to really enjoy the bright oranges and reds.  I tend to like Essie's color choice and formula for these shades.  I do my own nails, usually every Sunday morning while blog reading and drinking coffee, so I feel a little less guilty about buying a new nail polish almost weekly.  It's an addiction.  Come Here! is already on my wish list.

It's a 10 Miracle Leave-In Product.  I had heard good things about this from the interwebs and decided to try it after I saw it while wandering the beauty aisles of Target.  After I cut about 6 inches of ombre out of my hair, I wanted the length back almost immediately.  But it needed to be healthy.  Less 'po, more conditioning became my mantra.  My hair feels so soft and healthy after using this.  I still color and abuse my hair a bit but this has really cut down on the damage.  I also have been using Tresemme's Split Remedy Conditioner.  Even Mindy, the amazing hair guru that she is, said that she has noticed a difference in the health of my tresses.

Simple Eye Make-Up Remover Pads.  These are amazing!  I hate oily eye make-up removers (Boots eye make-up remover pads got tossed, they were awful) and I don't like using cotton balls or tissues with a cream remover.  If I am going to remember to take off my eye make-up, it has to be easy.  I had been using the Say Yes to Blueberries towelettes before I found these.  They don't even compare.

I am a bit of a beauty product junkie.  I recently cancelled my subscription to BirchBox because I wasn't loving the samples I was receiving and they were just piling up so if anyone has any suggestions on products I should try, let me know.  Also, if you know of a comparable product to the Chanel Sublimage Essential Revitalizing Concentrate that isn't going to cost me $400, PLEASE SHARE!!!!


2 comments:

justine said...

Love the list - any black eyeliner finds? My quest for an eyeliner that stay puts is never ending ...

Allison M. said...

that chanel stuff was amazeballs. I still have some left.