11.07.2011

no more yanky my wanky


Saturday night I met some friends up at the Winking Lizard to celebrate a birthday.  The Spazmatics were playing and it might have been a really fun evening if the birthday boy wasn't so obnoxiously drunk. The crowd was a weird mix of middle aged people and college age people and they had the ability to make me feel old and young at the same time.  Anyway, just setting the stage for a conversation that happened that made me think...I was chatting with another friend about younger men (and my recent attraction to them for some unknown reason) when the band started to play Simple Minds' Don't You Forget About Me.  Then question was asked: Do you think he (younger man of the moment) knows who John Hughes is? I thought to myself and then might have said: Oh shit!  I hope so. God, if he doesn't, can I still like him?!  Well...he doesn't know who John Hughes is.  I had to name off a few of John Hughes' movies to him ---to which he responded that he had never seen Pretty in Pink.  Or all of the Breakfast Club.  But he has seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off. 
So the answer the earlier question of can I still like him is a no. This might be harsh.  This might be over-reacting.  I spent a lot of time wishing I was Molly Ringwald back in the day.  And if a guy doesn't even understand why "Oh Sexy Girlfriend" makes me giggle, well then, we have nothing in common and I can't (shouldn't) make out with him.

I bet he doesn't even know the correct answer to "What do you wanna do with your life?" is "I wanna ROCK!" either.

1 comment:

Fizzgig said...

its pretty amazing what just a few years age difference can do to a person. this is why older men date younger women cus they could care less what they have to say.

women have far more substance and we like to have things in common. if i believed in jesus and the devil, I'd blame this all on eve for eating that apple. but since I don't ill just *blame men for being pigs!

*im starting to get bitter in my singlehood.