8.11.2011

I'm addicted to ya babe...You're a hard habit to break


I tend to be a tad bit obsessive compulsive about things. Everything has a place and everything in its place. But that’s not to say my house is perfectly organized or always tidy. I would just prefer it to be that way. Also, I may or may not coordinate my pen at work to what I am wearing…or maybe it’s not matching but a complimentary color. Yes, I am anal like that. Does this make me crazy? Not so much. I don’t need to check to make sure my door is locked six times before I can leave the house and I don’t have to wash my hands three times before I leave the bathroom or anything like that. I mentioned before that I have become obsessive about weighing myself. Back story: back in April I joined Weight Watchers and I have lost 27.6 pounds since then. Yes, those decimal points are important to me at this point. No, I don’t go to meetings, I do all my tracking online. (I report my weekly weight loss to a few friends who lovingly check in with me. I am not accountable to them, they just check in.) I weigh myself at home “officially” every Tuesday morning. Unofficially, I weigh myself like 30 times a day. OK, maybe it’s more like 20 but that really consists of 4 or 5 or 6 different weigh-ins a day stepping on and off at least 3 times every time (I just want to make sure it doesn’t change). Yes, I know this makes me crazy-it’s a slippery slope to counting my steps, checking to make sure every label in the pantry is going the same way, washing my hands every 10 min and wiping down the sink before I use it. Yes, I know I am not supposed to do this. Yes, I know your weigh fluctuates throughout the day. Yes, I know all these things. What I also know, due to this obsession, is exactly how much my weight fluctuates in a day. I know what I should be at weight wise first thing in the morning, after a workout, after work, and before bed and possibly a few other times during the day. I know what my workout clothes weigh. I know how much I sweat during a workout. And, I know how much a good poop weighs. What?! TMI? Don’t tell me you have never stepped on the scale and after a good quality poop gotten back on that scale to see how much less you weigh now. I know you are lying.

image found here.



6 comments:

Fizzgig said...

first of all, this title is one of the best songs ever recorded!

The scale. ugh, weve all been there. I am constantly chastizing coworkers for doing this, weighing several times a week, and/or day.

but the voice of experience is telling you none of these fluctuations matter. You can gain 8lbs and the next morning be back to your old weight.

Personally all this has ever done is create unhealthy habits. Stay on track, eat right, work out, and you will be guaranteed to have a loss each week. That 8lb gain will scare the crap out of you and make you not eat and then, undoubtedly gain at your weigh in.

Heather said...

I have the opposite addiction. I even have someone else weigh me every week and just tell me up or down (not the actual number). This keeps me on track without being obsessed with the "number" (which was always a stupid problem of mine).
You're doing awesome, btw!

Allison M. said...

OMG, I almost chocked on my cucumber salad when I got to how much a good poop weighs.
I don't own a scale but do weigh myself at work

Jen said...

I used to weigh 230 LBS. I successfully lost around 70lbs and kept it off for nearly 10 years, thanks to Weight Watchers. I used to be obsessed with the scale, but now I go on how well my jeans fit.
And I'm totally with you on the poop thing... My scale is right next to my toilet for a reason. Hee Hee.

Suzanne said...

Jen, that's awesome that you lost and kept it off. I set my goal for 50 total (it's right around what I weighed my sophomore year in college and the lowest weight I remember being as an adult). I have broken it down in to 3 goals--20, 15, and 15. After that, I will reevaluate both my obsessive weighing myself and if I want to lose more weight.

CLEgal @ Why CLE? said...

I love hearing other Weight Watchers success stories! I joined in grad school, lost 80 pounds, and have maintained my weight loss for 6 years now. It's a fabulous system that really works. And I'm entirely obsessed with my scale, too.