8.02.2011

Getting my fatty on

Austin has some amazing food.  I thought Cleveland was kind of awesome but in all reality, it doesn't hold a candle to the food scene going on in Austin.  Yes, Cleveland has some great spots.  But Austin is a food lovers paradise.  There are some amazing restaurants all over the city and there are food trucks all over the place-random ones on busy streets, mini little trailer parks of food trucks, and some hidden gems tucked away where only people in the know (or with the Eat St app) would be able to find them. 
Saturday night, we had amazing dinner at Barley Swine, where the manager is from Ohio (Warren to be exact, north east Ohio represent). While finishing up our dinner he chatted with us about the restaurant and stuff and we chatted about food bloggers in Austin vs. food bloggers in Cleveland  (let's just say food bloggers in Austin aren't able to throw their "weight" around to get in and get a table any faster and surely aren't getting any freebies from Barley Swine. Also, I didn't see a single person taking photos of their meal anywhere--odd.)  
Anyway, after an amazing dinner, we headed over to Gourdough's.  It's a donut food truck.  RIGHT?!
 Heaven.  On. Wheels.
As we were leaving at 1am (1am?!), we heard them tell a girl ordering that it was going to be a 45 min wait for their donuts.  This place is the like food trailer equivalent of Melt. 

Here are the donuts we tried:

Flying Pig---bacon with maple syrup icing.  
Oddly enough, this isn't the one I got. Look at all that bacon!


Funky Monkey-grilled banana with cream cheese icing and brown sugar.  
(My aunt couldn't wait until I took the photo to dig in.  She ate half the bananas before I had a chance to snap a photo)

Sara's Joy-coconut flavored filling with fresh coconut and fudge icing.
This is the one I got.  It was amazeballs.  So not good for you but so delicious.  I didn't even attempt to count the WW points on this one.  I kind of chalked Saturday up to a free for all eating day and this was sooooooo worth it.

I tried Hey Cupcake! earlier in the day (I said it was a free for all) and it didn't hold a candle to the donuts from Gourdough's.  If you find yourself in Austin, and you aren't a diabetic, please make your way over to Gourdough's and try one of their donuts.  You blood sugar won't thank you, but your belly will.

There are so many other places I tried but this one deserved it's own post.

5 comments:

My Blonde Moments said...

Hi there! I'm a former Ohioan that now lives in TX and I've been checking out your blog for a while now. I LOVE Austin and the food scene. I also was not too much of a fan of Hey Cupcake! and sadly I haven't tried the donuts (However, I'm headed to Austin this weekend, so it's now on the list of places to try!). Have you had Salt Lick BBQ yet? It's an absolute must! I also really loved the South Congress Cafe which is in the same area where all the food trucks are including the cupcake one. Also, make sure you get plenty of Tex-Mex while you are in TX. Our beloved Ohio just doesn't have a clue what good Mexican food is all about. A personal fav of mine is Chuy's, but there are a TON of places in Austin to choose from. Enjoy your trip!

Green Dog Wine said...

Oh. my. shitballs. does that look amazing! Let's go back to Austin in a few weeks - k? :)

Heather said...

You have GOT to be kidding me.

alexa - cleveland's a plum said...

oh. my. god.

Alana said...

wait. that bacon was ONE donut?!?!?! amazing.