2.16.2011

Michael Symon, you kind of hurt my feelings



I say boo on you Michael. You started to hurt my feelings when you opened (and closed--guess I wasn't the only one who wasn't in love with it) Bar Symon in Avon. And B-Spot in Woodmere. Now Strongsville and Westlake?! (and really, Strongsville doesn't need any more traffic) Wow, you're turning in to a suburbanite! Or you are just going where you think you can make the most money without really do anything for the city.

When Lola first opened in Tremont, Tremont wasn't Tremont. (I read Soul of a Chef and fell in love with you a little bit when the book talks about the early days of Lola.) The area scared most suburbanites you now seem to be catering to. (My mom still doesn't like to go to dinner in Tremont or Ohio City at night---they weren't great neighborhoods and while they have improved, they still aren't all that great really. But most likely, my mom won't visit B-Spot in Strongsville either.) But you had a part in bringing people and business to the area. And some amazing restaurants. Then came E4th. You were one of the first on the street. And most likely, if you were willing to take the gamble on that new area, so should others. That gamble has seemed to pay off for you. That's another great little pocket of Cleveland with some great restaurants (hello Chinato, hello Greenhouse Tavern)

On one hand, I want to pat you on the back and say way to go. You don't owe it to anyone to keep your restaurants in the actual city of Cleveland. You want to make your money. One the other hand, I am kind of pissed off that you are opening restaurants in areas that actually don't need your help. The money is already there. And instead of building up an area and making it great and having people ride on your coat-tails, you seem to be slacking and riding the coat-tails of someone else's work.

I used to think you were a trendsetter. I used to think you were kind of awesome. Now, you kind of remind me of someone who used to be cool and now shops at Eddie Bauer.

4 comments:

Alicia at Poise in Parma said...

love this. nicely said. and you're right about Strongsville not needing any more traffic: 82 is already enough of a mess by 71...

Heather said...

He's a lot less hot in my eyes now.........

Shawn said...

Nicely put, Suzanne!

Fizzgig said...

what? thats the only place ive experienced michael symon, and the first time I had goat cheese in all its macaroni goodness, and what led me to buy stemless wine glasses!

I'm staging a protest now!