1.19.2011

what the f*#@ is a foodie?




I have a bug up my butt about a word---a stupid word. Foodie! Lately that word sends me in to a fit of rage (kind of like mentioning a french pedicure to All Lacquered Up ---take my word for it, you might not want to tell her about your love of two toned toes). I think it's way overused. I think it kind of makes me want to punch the person who called them self one in the face. I am sure this all my own bias (actually, I know it is but it's my blog so deal with it) but if your dietary limitations are longer than the list of things you eat, how can you be a "foodie"?! I don't consider myself a foodie because I don't eat meat on a bone (cue 12 year old laughter here). I don't like fish and some of the other seafoods like clams or mussels. Organ meats scare me. I can't attend a Dinner in the Dark because the thought of not knowing what the courses are going to be ahead of time stresses me out. What if there is liver or fish or duck or clams or what the hell and I going to do if there is a snail on my plate....you see where I am going with this. I could never leave my dining decisions up to the chef--even though at a few places, I might consider it.


Yes, I like food. I like food a lot. Too much if you ask me but that's a whole other issue.
I love stinky cheeses and fancy (and not so fancy) restaurants. I go to them quite often and I don't order a burger or the chicken breast. I try to venture out within my limitations and sometimes even push my own limits. But there are still limits. Because of these limitations, I don't consider myself a foodie. And because I am always right, I don't think anyone else should either. You aren't a foodie unless there isn't anything you won't or can't eat. So that pretty much leaves Anthony Bourdain and Andrew Zimmern. (OK, OK. There might be a few others but see above where if your list of what you won't eat is longer than what you will, you aren't one of them) And since I am pretty sure most of the people reading this aren't either one of them, you aren't a foodie. You might just really like food.
image found here.

8 comments:

Green Dog Wine said...

I really like your POV on this. I never really thought about it - but you are right - people just say "foodie" all the time without really thinking about it. And - its a HUGE huge huge huge pet peeve of mine when people won't even try something before they decide they don't like it. I don't like dining with those sorts of people. Picky eating is for 2 year olds. Grownups need to get over themselves. :)

k said...

I agree- "foodie" is definitely over-used. I don't know if I'd consider myself a "true" foodie. I love food and I love trying new things and in general, my rule is that I should try something twice before I decide if I don't like it because the first time it may have been poorly prepared.

That being said, there are a few things I would not try (one of them being Balut) just because I genuinely can't imagine the potential deliciousness being worth the gross-out factor. So maybe I'll just consider myself a food lover and adventurous eater :)

Heather said...

Ha! I'd love to know who set you off on this........ :)

Mel said...

Can I be a foodie if I'll eat even the things I know I don't like, but with the exception of shellfish because I'm allergic? ;)

I'll try everything outside that... even eat beets (blech), if the dish sounded interesting. Also? In one meal in Toronto, I had bone marrow, calf brains and heart tartare. Nom.

Suzanne said...

I guess I should say the misuse of the word foodie is what really bothers me. That and the fact that true foodies don't call themselves foodies---eating everything and anything isn't unusual for them so they don't have a need to label it.

Bite Buff said...

This post made me chuckle.

QLF said...

I eat things that Andrew Zimmerer doesn't - like Pi dan.

So what could a true foodie call themselves?
Meal monger
Chow hound (OK-that's already used)
Sustinance seeker
Grub geek

Or maybe just straight "Food Freak"

Alana said...

And who doesn't love food?

This post = awesome.